Defending The Indefensible

by digby

Pat Buchanan was just on MSNBC saying that the Edwards campaign set up Coulter on Hardball yesterday. I'm not kidding. And he agrees with Coulter's comments about their dead son (which he blames on Bill Maher?) because it is so unseemly that the Edwards's are shamelessly exploiting the tragedy. In fact, Coulter was bravely defending conservatism against the deplorable liberal commentary that's out there.

Buchanan has stood out in recent years as someone who goes against the prevailing conservative grain from time to time. But he has always represented the conservative id, which you can see in its full glory when he talks about Mexicans ruining America. And that id is the characteristic they all have in common -- neo and paleo alike. When it comes down to it, they simply have no limits. As much as you are seeing them shoot wildly in a circular firing squad right now, don't lose sight of the fact that they are circling the wagons at the same time. Eventually, they are going to turn all that frustration and anger outwards as they realize that they have to protect the tribe.

I hope everyone is prepared for what is undoubtedly going to be a shockingly indecent election. They have nothing to lose.


Update: Just a word to my readers. One of the things I do, and have always done, on this blog is media commentary. I realize that some of you don't care for this and think all liberals should stop watching and reading the mainstream media. That is a legitimate position, but it simply is not what I do or what I believe. There are other blogs that never talk about the political media, however, lots of them. So there is very little use in trying to batter me into submission and insult me over and over again for posting on the subject. I'm not going to stop.


.